Aging does not only mean a change in body pattern but also a dramatic moderation of emotions. Older people often perceive the situation of loneliness, hopelessness, and sad situation.
Older people face the desire for a high level of satisfaction holding the beliefs of loneliness. Not only elderly people but even the working groups are also facing the scenario of mounting physical alignment, psychological stress, increased dependency, and social losses.
Taking good care of elderly mental health and wellbeing is like keeping a check on one’s own physical status.
To eliminate the emotional issues of the senior citizen you must be able to keep your own emotional, social need under check.
However, according to the report released by the World Health Organization (WHO), 20 % of adults above 60 years develop mental health problems due to a lack of social and emotional support.
The common issues sensed by most of the home care service givers in Fairfield are anxiety, depression, abuse problems, and a feeling of self-harm.
Mental Health of senior citizens
A few of the issues faced by senior citizens include;
- Losing a dear family member due to relocation or death.
- Experiencing isolation as the children are busy with their employment and studies.
- Absence of routine activities due to retirement.
- Loss of financial dependency as their no flow of regular income.
- Diagnosed with several ailments, high use of medication leads to frustration.
- Difficulty in coping with physical challenges such as hearing loss.
How to take care of the emotional need of elderly people?
Elderly people need to feel safe and should be surrounded by familiar faces. Coping with emotional needs prevents aging people from depression.
How to figure out the emotional issues of elderly people?
Signs of insufficient sleeping, poor appetite, or unstable concentration are few symptoms shown by the elderly.
Every emotional care offered to seniors should be designed in a way to deal with the loneliness, boredom, vulnerability, and isolation.
So, how do we take care of the emotional need of elderly people?
- Planning: Look out for future anticipation. The circumstances will never remain the same, hence, it’s certain to face new difficulties in physical, sensory, and emotional abilities. These can brutally damage the emotional well beings. Home care service providers should look out for the mood alteration, and their immediate action. Further, it is also the responsibility of the caregiver to provide on-time medicine, with correct dozes.
- Recreation activities: Understand the need for elderly people. Talk to them, carefully listen to their needs, and discuss the activities they are more interested to do. Make a recreational routine. Carry out every task properly. For example, reading favorite books, taking out for a walk, visiting community centers, plan out for friends & relative visits, dry picnic, and more.
- Connecting with friends & family: Assist the senior citizens to connect with their close friends. Encourage visits to family members, make regular use of telecommunication to maintain regular communication. Elderly people may find internet access useful, hence, we can also teach them the usage of technology.
- Grooming: In order to retain the dignity and feelings of self-worth it is important to foster a good care regime. When working on personal care, the first thing that strikes us is grooming, but there are several factors involved in it. Assisting senior citizen in their daily work foster a feeling of respect. Few practical tips for assisting senior people are bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, and grooming.
- Security: A senior citizen may feel nervous and fearful. A senior person when resides alone must undergo several problems such as mobility. Give a positive outlook with practical measures, to prevent intruders. Arrange or install CCTV cameras or locks, chains, or spy holes with emergency call buttons. So that even if they feel unwell, they can immediately ring up to their close ones.
You may also like: Emotional changes on seniors every family caregiver need to know
How to make Senior citizens socially active?
Hundreds of ways are present to maintain a busy social calendar, and this does not involve a hefty amount of money. The only thing needed is proper time management and self-motivation.
- Set up a meeting to visit family members and grandchildren.
- A morning walk session, three times a week in a nearby neighborhood or a Zumba session.
- Volunteering service at a nearby community center for a rewarding experience.
- Pursuing a hobby, mastering a craft, learning a new language, or taking any musical class.
- Join clubs to attain events and social activities.
- Support any groups and share experiences to promote positiveness.
At wise choice in home care, we understand the importance of helping every Australian citizen. Whether you are new to aged care or looking for help to take care of your loved ones in Sydney or Fairfield, we can help.
We are a name you can trust on. We put our customers before and hence past decades we have been giving flexible, tailored, personalized service by assigning professional staff. With Wise Choice in Home Care, you can make an everyday difference to the senior members. Contact us, to find out more about the home care packages, aged care packages, and disability packages.